08 October 2012

Showrooms & House of the Immediate Future

In Seattle, I was able to visit the Seattle Design Center, the Pental Stone showroom, the DalTile showroom, 3Form Light Art Studios, the Knoll showroom, and the Habitat for Humanity's House of the Immediate Future.

By visiting these showrooms, I learned about the relationship between designers and showrooms. I was also acquainted with a lot of new materials and how to go about choosing materials for a client. I enjoyed seeing the warehouses, and learning about molding resin at 3Form. It was impressive and inspiring to hear how 3Form Light Art Studios and Knoll got started, and how they have continued designing on a large scale. As a designer, visiting the showrooms showed me the grand possibilities my future may hold.



I sketched two chairs at the Knoll showroom. I had difficulty with the perspective lines in the first sketch, and ran out of room on the page for the second sketch. I did pretty well with my hatching, but struggled with spacing.

Here is a sketch and a photo of the House of the Immediate Future. The house is very environmentally friendly with net zero energy use, and has a bedroom on the main floor which allows for easier accessibility to elderly residents. After volunteering with Palouse Habitat for Humanity, it was cool to see the organization's work on a larger scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment