08 October 2012

Job Shadow

I spent a day job shadowing with Jennifer from Jennifer Randall and associates. A classmate Miranda and I accompanied Jennifer to a client's home in Seattle, and we watched Jennifer and her client discuss possibilities for remodeling her kitchen and dining room. It was interesting to see the interaction between Jennifer and her client. Since the client's home was pretty old, some of the original designs in the kitchen are no longer up to code. Jennifer used her design knowledge to come up with possible solutions to design problems in the kitchen. Miranda and I also helped Matt, one of Jennifer's coworkers, measure in the kitchen and dining room. After visiting the client's house, Miranda and I went with Jennifer to buy a few items from Builder's Hardware and Supply. I had never seen a big hardware store with so many different pieces before (doorknobs, cabinet knobs, doorbells, etc.), so it was fun to look around at the products.

Here is a photo I took inside the hardware store.





















Overall, I really enjoyed the experience of job shadowing. Jennifer was very friendly and offered Miranda and I advice whenever she came across anything we might not know about. She described the differences between life as a residential designer and a commercial designer-- like how a commercial designer might have more freedom when it comes to design decisions since a business is not as personal to the client as a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment