11 September 2012

Concept Development

I began devising my concept by choosing a quote that describes the meaning of "home."

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
and there are many paths to tread
Through shadows to the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.
Then world behind and home ahead,
We'll wander back to home and bed."
-- JRR Tolkien

I decided to emphasize the comfort of home and how although we may venture away, we always return home.

In my two-dimensional concepts, I used various shapes to represent home with other, more daring shapes and lines representing adventure. Here are a few of my 2-D concepts.
Then I began to make some three-dimensional study models to represent my 2-D concepts.


For my final 3-D concept model, I chose to use soft, round, blue clay to represent the comfort of home and jagged wires to show journeys away from home and returning back. The wires jet straight out to show the first half of an adventure, and the curved lines show the relaxing return home. 


I am pleased with the outcome of my final concept. I wish the final model were bigger (the clay only has about a 1-2 inch diameter), but I think the model does a good job of conveying my parti.

No comments:

Post a Comment